Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
Why is Soul-Scar too Bolas and not Earthshaker? Earthshaker has an explicitly Bolas-related ability, Soul-Scar is just some Amonkheti dude.
Spoiler: Image
Show

Soul-scar is a man with a fanatical-looking light in his eyes and a snarl of rage on his face, wielding a brand in the shape of Bolas' symbol, and powers that seem to be about inflicting permanent, painful harm on enemies. Looks pretty evil to me.

Spoiler: Image
Show

By contrast, the impression I get from Earthshaker is of a warrior born into Amonkheti society, raised according to its values and living by them because it's what they know, but not fanatically dedicated to them. I'm given to understand many Amonkheti joined the Gatewatch against Bolas once they learned the truth about their religion, and Earthshaker could easily follow that path. If I were planning on Eternalizing them, it'd be different, but I wouldn't, so...

(Not saying I feel super attached to using them, I'm just talking about fluff now.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
A one-off conditional 'can't block' isn't worth much on its own. You're unlikely to get to the point where you can Eternalise it and still be in with a shot at winning. Renegade Tactics at least cantrips and has some synergy with Adeliz and Lavarunner. Your best weapon against blockers is probably bluffing combat tricks, or a burn spell when you have Warlord's Fury up. I've mostly found standard to be a fairly blocking-light format at the moment, although that may change in Dominaria.
Fair enough. I might bend my no-Kaladesh restriction for Renegade Tactics.