View Single Post

Thread: Does your setting have resurrection?

1. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Does your setting have resurrection?

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    According to the standard D&D demographics a large town has a 17% chance of having a 9th level cleric (1d6+3), but a small city has a 75% percent chance of having a 9th level cleric (1d6+6, roll twice)...
    I'll read the whole wall of text and its responses when lunch time comes, but for the record 1d6+6 rolled twice gives an 89% chance of yielding 9 or higher at least once.

-------------------------

OK, it's lunch time and I've caught up.

Some time back there was a thread about resurrection and inheritance; I can't find it now, I'm afraid. One of the possibilities proposed as I recall, and one I liked, is that nothing is inherited, be it wealth or ruling title, until the Raise Dead clock runs out. After that, the inheritance is final even if someone is resurrected. The family of the returned would probably take him/her in as a member of the household, but not as the owner or ruler. (Of course, if they choose to give back some comfortable amount of wealth and personal items, that's all well and good, but the law does not make the returned entitled to it.) I can even see a king's will saying "Resurrect me, but wait a while and don't Raise me! This is my retirement."

Quote Originally Posted by drakir_nosslin View Post
    I don't agree with the 'only' in this sentence. How many individuals, or even families, can shell out 6125 GP in case of a accidental death, or even a expected one? I think that's out of reach of most of the population, making death the standard for everyone but the 1%. Sure, a few people in society has a lot of money and can afford services which elevates their life above that of most, but that does not change the 'world', it changes life for a small part of the population.
    Raising and Resurrecting only directly affect the 1%, but those include the rulers, both official economic. If the rulers are able to live so much longer (should they want to) that will have indirect effects on life for 99% as well.
    Last edited by jqavins; 2018-04-30 at 03:25 PM.
    -- Joe
    “Shared pain is diminished. Shared joy is increased.”
    -- Spider Roninson
    And shared laughter is magical

Always remember that anything posted on the internet is, in a practical if not a legal sense, in the public domain.
    You are completely welcome to use anything I post here, or I wouldn't post it.