Quote Originally Posted by Sigreid View Post
The OPs reading of the spell is an excellent example of why we can't have nice things and a couple of the earlier editions went to overly complex explanations of simple concepts.
Well, that was part of the original point... I think. It seemed to be that people shouldn't obsess over the minute wording of spells, while at the same time obsessing over the minute wording of a spell. I think this contradiction (which scans as hypocrisy, although I understand the value of breaking the rule one advocates to prove a point) was why they have received such pushback. However, this isn't exactly a grand proclamation, given that it is the advice that the entire edition seems to have been built around.

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
Or rather the rules are vague and players (including DMs) want clarity. They end up having to make up their own decisions or seek advice online or Sage Advice, learn that everyone has different opinions, then make up their own decisions anyway such that the rules of the game depends on who is DM that day.
And unlike other editions, they are up front about it! Isn't it great!?