Spoiler: Thoughts, mostly from beginning of movie...
Show
I saw it this weekend. So... I agree with the sentiment others have mentioned that Thanos' plan is overly simplistic in its explanation. It doesn't really seem to make sense on its face. Thanos has no way to discriminate, from what we can tell, how this calculus works. It just annihilates half of the universe's population. I think we can all agree that this is hardly a precise and fool-proof method to achieve his goals. I wanted very much to buy into the idea that Thanos really believes in his plan and truly wants to bring about harmony and stability to the universe. But it is sort of silly to see him sitting down watching the sunrise, a scene that is supposed to convey that he has accomplished his goal, when all he did was kill trillions of people.

This hardly guarantees the type of paradise and harmony that he seems to want for everyone.

I would have much preferred if Thanos ruled the universe or galaxy or whatever with an iron fist. Like a true tyrant. One with the power of the Infinity Stones. With that power, he could bring about whatever universe he wanted. Killing half the universe is just purely arbitrary and doesn't really make sense with what he wants. He could conquer immediately and have everyone bowing down to him and pledging fealty to avoid being annihilated. He could actually create a true universal utopia, except it's authoritarian and tyrannical and not free. Everyone plays along because of fear. And the Avengers and everyone else would oppose him and overthrow him because it wouldn't be free.

But the "if I kill half of all populations, everything will be wonderful" is silly and doesn't seem to be justified ever in the movies. I mean... I know he mentions Gamora"s planet but it doesn't really track. I mean... there was a time when her planet wasn't overpopulated. Killing half the people doesn't remove the factors that led down that path. It just sort of resets it. How does that do anything? Ok, so in the two decades since he took Gamora in, they're not experiencing resource strain because half of their population got murdered. Are we supposed to assume that they will simply never overpopulate again? Why?

Apart from that, there was a little redundancy between Gamora asking Quill to kill her so that Thanos can't get the Soul Stone, and Vision asking Wanda to kill him so that Thanos can't get the Mind Stone, and a little differently in Dr. Strange assuring Tony that he will let both Tony and Spider-Man die to keep Thanos from getting the Time Stone. All of these conversations make sense, but seeing them back to back to back makes it lose some of its impact, which was probably bound to happen in a movie with this many characters.

Tony's new suit is awesome. Peter's new suit is awesome. I was super excited when Cap and Co showed up to save Vision and Wanda, though I did feel the two strongest characters on the Avengers were suspiciously underpowered against Thanos' thugs. So that was kind of a weird fight to watch. As excited as I was to see Cap, it was weird that the three humans with no powers just saved Wanda and Vision from a duo of super-powered aliens. But I'm still glad that it happened .

Speaking of underpowered overpowered characters, I'm not sure what the purpose of shackling the Hulk was. Is it because he's pretty one-dimensional and too strong in what he does? I think I see the story-reasons; he's scared? But what was the meta reason? Similarly, Strange was toned down quite a bit. This however makes sense because he saw the future. Still, the pathway forward should have involved a little more uber magic being slung around, for meta reasons. Come on, we want to see the Sorcerer Supreme in action!

I can't comment on the movie in total because, full disclosure, I actually fell asleep during the huge end battle in Wakanda. I woke up to Wanda destroying the Mind Stone and I was like "Oh damn, that sucks". Then Thanos shows up and reverses time. Then Thor impales him with the axe and Thanos snaps his fingers. When Bucky showed up and vanished I was like "Hmm... I missed something important", but then I realized it was the snap of the fingers and Thanos had enacted his plan. But I did miss the whole fight and some other bits (the conversation before he threw Gamora over the cliff, and the relighting the forge scene). So I've got to watch it again to really get my proper thoughts on it. (I was exhausted this weekend and tried hard to stay awake but I just couldn't muster it!)