Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
The narrative that "4e was balanced and that is why it was bad" gets a lot of play,
Guess better word for it is very samey and I can only describe the impression like "Bumper Cars". Like the way its structured is designed to simulate the ride of D&D but isn't exactly it.

Yes rituals exist and those are solid for some stuff (Teleportation on a mile scale really is super obnoxious when its spammable), but its so structured against going against the grain.
I do still find the Description of "MMO" apt.

I think Vancian casting is fine. There is nothing inherently broken about "you prepare a bunch of spells and then you can cast those spells but not other spells".
Its unintuitive and requires so much tracking but at the same time its not really naturalistic. Id say its one of the clunkiest aspects of D&D.

But its not like it also makes up for it in vertisility, nor does it make for very thematic characters. What separates from a clockwork technomage and a Necromancer supreme is that they might have a spell slot per spell level set aside to a thematic spell .