1. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Are full casting progression and high tier characters overrated?

An Abrupt Jaunt Wizard is probably the most powerful character at a level 1 table unless there’s Tome of Battle. He’s almost immune to rocket tag.

A cleric 1 is behind a fighter 1 by 2 hp, 1bab, 1 feat. He is ahead of the fighter by 2 will save and 2 domains or domain feats. With picks like War and Law domain feat, his free weapon focus is equal to the BAB, and his +3 AC or to hit twice a day probably beats any fighter feat. And THEN he gets spells.

I played a Sorcerer in our last PF game. His granted bloodline power gave him trip using his cha bonus at 15 feet, more times per day than he ever managed to use. His long spear did enough average damage to drop most enemies. He could trip foes and then murder them with the same to hit as our Barbarian while they stood up. Or have a 90% chance after spell failure to cast a spell that would drop a higher level enemy with a DC17 will save 5 times a day. Or a 90% chance to trade his action with humanoid enemies via daze. Or a +11 intimidate check to debuff an enemy. And some handy utility cantrips. Yeah, the Barbarian did more damage. But I was better in combat anywhere between 10 and 110 feet, better at skills, with more useful class features. I had 4 reasonable choices (Attack, trip, save or lose, intimidate) to his 1, based on range and what we were fighting.
    Last edited by Gnaeus; 2018-05-05 at 08:01 AM.