That's at least as much of a stretch as anything I said. Intrinsic to the concept of the soul is the idea that the soul is the self. ("You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body.") It's described as such on the relevant page, which also asks "Where do the faithful go when they die? What do they do when they get there?" It's plain from context that those questions aren't about what happens to the corporeal remains of the faithful, I hope you'll grant.

Besides which, if mental phenomena are non-physical, they're never done by the body anyway. In which case saying that the character's body doesn't do those things is just as true for an alive character as a dead one! So it only makes sense to specify that this is the case if thought is physical, it seems. It can't be that the soul just isn't doing those things within the body... because the quoted passage refers to the state of a character immediately after death, before the soul departs the body.

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
As in "has hit points".

Roy says he didn't have to move his legs before, he didn't have a positive hit point total before, and so on:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0665.html

Making me think that "Roy in Celestia" (or floating around in Azure City, Sunken Valley, etc) might not have used a "regular statblock" - being a soul, not an undead, or an outsider, or a "positive energy spirit" (Deathless) like the guardians of the throne room in Azure City.
Um... we don't have D&D stats. Do we lack physical bodies? Or am I missing something here?

I'm guessing that I am. I'm guessing that you see hit points and regular stat blocks as somehow corresponding to some relevant actual qualities of real creatures.

The question then is... What are those qualities?