Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
Personally I've never been *particularly* unhappy with live-actors doing voice work, at least when I've recognised the voice? I thought Nathan Fillion was fine in the DC animated movies, for example.
Fun story! So, Billy West is, IIRC, one of only three people who are licensed to do Bugs Bunny. Back when Space Jam came out, he obviously auditioned for Bugs, and got it. Did some other voices too, crazy talented guy.

Anyway. It's Space Jam. The plot is literally "Michael Jordan and Buggs Bunny play basketball." Buggs is on the poster. He's arguably more recognizable than Jordan. Billy West is half the damn movie. And when he was invited to the premier and went to Mann's Chinese Theater, he was told that he wasn't allowed in; he had to go to a small theater to the side, and that the famous theater was for "real actors." Like Michael Jordan.

Regardless of anything else, hearing that story forever made me unhappy with live action actors doing voice acting. Not because of a "if we can't get on your bus, you can't get on our bus" mentality, but because voice actors are already second class citizens, so far as Hollywood is concerned, and I think they should be able to get all the work they can.

Also, did I say fun story? I meant depressing, angry story.