Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
The Magic Item Christmas Tree is bad, and using WBL as a solution makes it worse. The game should be moving away from required items, not facilitating more of them. Again, look at the source material. When people have magic gear, it is a small number of powerful items, not a large number of weak ones. It is easy to tell iconic, compelling stories about Mjolnir or The One Ring. It is much harder to tell those stories about +3 swords, Belts of Healing, and Anklets of Translocation.

Boring is different from weak. A no-save, no-SR, no-immunity free-action instant kill ability would be something people would dip for. That wouldn't make it good design. To be clear: I am not saying those abilities are equally bad design, or that evasion shouldn't be in the game. What I am saying is that if you are going to give people evasion, you need to also give them useful offensive tools. And useful utility tools.

And I seem to remember something about flight, and martials not having it.

It's perfectly helpful. If someone says "I want to move to Boise to start a career in showbusiness", it is entirely reasonable to tell them that Boise is not the right city to do that. Some ideas won't work well, or put the game in a worse place than alternatives. And that's fine. There is nothing wrong with having a bad idea. At least you're having ideas.
I'm not breaking another long quote down on my phone, so bear with me...

Vs. flight- casting flight in close proximity to a well built fighter = questionable outcome at best.

Touche with Boise