Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
First off, Grant was requested by the insurance company; the lawyer says so in the cave mining scene. It's also implied by Hammond that the lawyer also selected Malcolm. ("I bring scientists, you bring a rock star")
Good point. I'd forgotten that scene.

Secondly, Malcolm definitely has relevant skills; as a chaotician, he has enough experience with complex systems to know that Hammond's plan for controlling one is impossible. Whether it's a dino preserve, a weather pattern, or a water droplet sliding off your hand is just window dressing.
Zoos are inherently complex systems. This is just a new one. People try and control complex systems all the time with various degrees of success. Going to the moon involved complex systems and things they didn't know about. When it comes to money, they are going to want reasons. "It's going to fail because X", not "It's going to fail because it's going to fail", which is all Malcolm seems to say. As someone who has had to both support AND attack state-funded projects, you never get away with just saying "because" in real life. And that's all he seems to do. Heck, if I look at what Malcolm says objectively, I have no reason to believe him, because he has no evidence at all.

(And if him just saying so is enough, then they've decided to shut it down anyway and he's just the excuse).

Now, the zoo keeper, computer expert, and construction engineer all sound reasonable, but to the insurance company, the major problem was that these were dinosaurs. As far as they were concerned, the fact that it would be a good zoo was a given; the unknown portion was the prehistoric animals. Was that a mistake on their part? Possibly. But if they had brought all those people in, then when it failed we'd all be screaming at them for not bringing a dinosaur expert.
Yes, that's why I said supplemental. Because given that things are failing anyway, the families of those who died are going to be screaming at them for not bringing those I listed. Because it obviously WASN'T a good zoo. Too many points of failure that are too easily sabotaged, and oh BTW your non-breeding dinosaurs are breeding.