Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
First of all, I love this class.

How is your opinion on letting Shillelagh be str/dex/cha based? State certification has nothing to do with the patron and is likely a homebrew background feature (from its name).

I would rather give it a feature that represents what you had to sacrifice to the Truth. Think a feature like oracle curses. Basically a situational or minor+RP drawback for a single advantage (Izumi Curtis) or a major drawback (lost limb, blind) for two advantages (Mustang, Edward).

Example:

Internal organs: You lost the ability to conveive children. You have disadvantage on saves vs. poison. If you receive a constant advantage from any other source, these features cancel out.

Instead, once per short rest you get advantage on any strength check (be it attack roll, ability roll or strength save).
I definitely like these suggestions

It was a good call on the level 1 ability name - I've changed it to something more mundane and less Background Alchemist-y. A State Alchemist certification would presumably be a variant on Soldier/Investigator.

Shillelagh is based on "you can use your spellcasting ability instead of Strength for that weapon", so you can already choose between Strength and Charisma while wielding the club or quarterstaff. I chose that spell as it was a common pickup for Tomelocks who didn't want to be blasters, and as a nod to Ed's common use of a spear. If you wanted to rule that it could apply to Dex, or that it applies to spears (basically a piercing quarterstaff with the thrown property), you certainly can, but I was trying to make it as clean & close to Raw as possible.

I do like the idea of the nod to the oracle curses, but would want it to be relatively balanced, which the curses never were, in my opinion. If I was going to include them, it'd be a format of the Flaws/Quirks that came with the Shadow Sorcerer.