View Single Post

Thread: Inside 66: Order up!

1. - Top - End - #323
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Inside 66: Order up!

Quote Originally Posted by UncleWolf View Post
    Victory's Secret

"Naw, it won't cost much more than a cuppa joe."
    Tallia reassures the Gobbun gently, watching her put the collar on carefully to make sure nothing goes awry. Unless something she is carrying messes with the enchantment, she'll find that over the course of about thirty seconds she increases in size to the desired amount. It was fast, but not instant, allowing her some measure of time to get used to the new perspective before throwing her into it. "An' it won't outright destroy the choker, but it'll wear it down. A good three or four reworks and the fabric will get too thin to use an' I'll replace it for no more than a repair." She explains before grinning at Kray despite the tall woman's expression. "So? Ya love it?"
    Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    [Victory's Secret]

Kray smiles at the shopkeep.
    "Yes, ma'am. It fits better than I could have possibly imagined. It does seem to be less hot than I imagined." She is still worried about wearing multiple layers in the heat. Krayger has done marches in the summer in gear for MERC, they're not pleasant for anyone involved.
    Still, she does (try to) give Eswil a small hug.
    "You look wonderful."
    Victory's Secret

Eswill nods happily at the estimates as she grows, marveling at finally being at head height to the other patrons, more or less. And she could reach things! Without jumping or anything. Still, some questions need to be addressed, "I'd still like to know if anything I cast on or around it could mess up the enchantment. It'd be nice to make sure I don't break it trying to keep it from ripping." She's surprised by the sound of her own voice, slightly deeper from the increased size of her body. After a moment's consideration a smile breaks out on her face.

And then she's being hugged, and has to poke Kray in the muzzle in response, smirking the whole time, "What, just from being taller? I haven't even tried on the rest of the outfit yet! And you certainly clean up well for a temporary girl."

Quote Originally Posted by UncleWolf View Post
    Slightly Rainy Street

As soon as the Gobbun challenges her and shows the gear, the lass' covered arm snaps out and snatches it as she lets her sign drop to the street. All care about the rain is gone and her uncovered hand reaches up to pull her visor off so she can get a clearer look. Three distinctly odd things are revealed then. The first is that the hand of the arm she kept covered had been far more delicate than the normal looking one she had out. This one had much longer and thinner fingers with extra joints on them, designed for more delicate and precise work and the stronger and fumbling fingers of the other hand.

Second, she shows that she only has one eye. She'd normally have two, but a jagged black scar covers where her left one would be. And finally, the eye that remained was larger than a normal person's with three different irises that seem to focus on different points of the gear. Once she examines it for a few long seconds, she simply drops it to the ground and sits down on the sidewalk in the rain as well, completely ignoring it now that she'd been given purpose. Her poncho gets flipped up, revealing cargo shorts that have their pockets stuffed, as well as a vest with several full pockets as well. Unless her new friend catches the gear, it likely breaks on the ground but she ignores it as she pulls out a dark red putty with her grasping hand. It steams in the rain as she works it with her fingers, and he can smell and feel the heat from where he's at as it begins to activate. She wastes no time and as soon as it reaches a firmness she likes she pulls out a minuscule plasma cutter no larger than a pen and begins to carve it. As he watches, little chunks are shaved away piece by piece as she carves out a perfect replica of what the gear he showed her should have been. The little plasma cutter twirls in her longer fingers with ease, almost artfully, until the piece is done and she puts her gear away. Despite being soaked through, she seems happy enough to hum merrily while she pulls her visor back on and offers the gear to him. The putty she uses is still warm but seemed to be firming up to be about as strong as the gear was before, if not more so.

Once he takes it, she'll pick up the umbrella-sign and tweak the letters.

HEAD PATS HUGZ AND FOOD TIMES NOW?
    Slightly Rainy Street

Not being quick enough to anticipate the dropped gear, the gobbun will stick out his foot and let it bounce off the toe of his boot, softening its fall. It likely wouldn't have made much difference as even fractured steel of the quality used in heavy machinery wouldn't shatter from such a short fall, but he needs it as intact as possible for the machine shop.

... Or he would, if he hadn't seen an apparent miracle of engineering take place before his eyes. He carefully takes the completed putty gear from her hands and passes it from hand to hand as it cools. Once he deems it hard enough, he fishes around in his many pockets for a set of digital calipers. Being his spare set they're a bit banged up from being carried around everywhere, but he can get a rough measurement here and now before using a better cared for set back in his toolbox.

He measures the important parts of the gear. The radius, the gap between each tooth, and even does a quick eyeball estimate using one of the least banged up teeth to make sure it looks how it's supposed to. Then he compares it to the hastily scribbled down dimension he took back at the shop and shrugs, sighing heavily. "Miracles, standing out on street corners. Unbelievable." He gives the girl a sharp look, "What's the tensile strength of this stuff? And its wear resistance. Can it hold up to 350N of torque? I can't just install it in the machine without knowing it won't break again immediately because I picked the first person to offer me a gear up off the street." He really does want to just give in and do exactly that because he's already past his shift end and he hates dealing with the day shift on general principal, but it would be his head on the block if the job wasn't done right.
    Last edited by Slii Arhem; 2018-06-02 at 12:19 PM.
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.