1. - Top - End - #156
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Annoying Fantasy Clichés II: We're gonna need more Trope

Quote Originally Posted by The Jack View Post
    See, my question to such things is how much can convergent evolution work for this.

A lot of animals have organs that work the same as humans, and many of them are in the same relative places. Humans aren't perfect; we have vestigal features and I could talk about boobs for a bit, but our evolution is pretty logical and an advanced sentient race would surely follow at least a good portion of the same logic.

Really, I think some people try too hard to avoid the "humans with makeup" shtick. In doing so they might ignore the practicalities of form entirely or just use a single superficial reason to justify one of a dozen things. Halo does well, Mass Effect had a lot of very questionable aliens, not helping that a few of them were Humans with makeup.
    Yeah, but most of the animals you're familiar with are all descended from the same primordial tetrapod. The differen't races in D&D and similar fantasy, on the other hand, generally aren't even all created by the same god.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2018-06-04 at 12:57 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)