1. - Top - End - #1359
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: The 3.5 Red Hand Of Doom Handbook for DMs [Major spoilers!] - WIP, PEACH!

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyShadow View Post
    Well, I was running for a group of obsessive optimizers at the time (later in the campaign the party was able to one-round the tarrasque ) so I had to upgrade the vast majority of the Red Hand forces. As for highlights from RHoD itself, here are some of my favorite/hated moments:

• Karlikan the Minotaur got turned into a wolf totem barbarian tripper, and he had just enough AoO to last longer than two rounds against the party's oppressive melee damage.
    • Koth had his flight dispelled and fell to his death.
    • I learned that our Mailman Sorcerer didn't pay attention when he threw Acid Orb at Ozzy.
    • The frosty bastard sword was dubbed vendor trash because bastard swords are an unoptimized weapon choice.
    • The party's elan binder/psychic warrior was an indestructible tank until the hobgoblins figured out that he didn't do anything useful.
    • Greenspawn Razorfiends impress nobody when they die in one round.
    • The PCs told the Tiri Kitor "Nah, we got this. We don't need the help."
    • I learned that nobody in the party could swim when Reggie sank their boat. Three people drowned.
    • Goblin rangers impress nobody.
    • Ulwai got blasted out of the campaign setting by the wizard's Born of Three Thunders lightning bolt.
    • The wizard had his hand ripped off by the Ghostlord, so he replaced it was an animated gauntlet.
    • The elan asked the shugenja to leave the party because "I don't need healing."
    • The elan died in the first fight at Kaiu Wall. The shugenja wasn't sorry.
    • The sorcerer still wasn't paying attention. He used fireball on Abby.
    • The sorcerer used his last two spells for the day to teleport back to their home base and bring back a samurai NPC they made friends with.
    • I couldn't decide what rework build for Kharn to use, so I used both as separate baddies in the same encounter. It didn't help.
    • The handbook is right. Tyrgarun doesn't need reworked at all! He killed two party members.
    • The Fane is pretty boring. I cut out about 80% of the rooms. I stand by that decision.
    • Azarr Kul made it four whole rounds. I was so proud of him
    • The Aspect of Tiamat Fu Leng lasted one and a half rounds. I wasn't so happy with that one.

Those are the good bits I had jotted down, anyway
    When did an entry for the "Things I may no longer do in my campaign" thread wander in here? Whilst some of these would have been teeth-grinding enough to give you huge dental bills, I am killing myself laughing about some of this stuff, most particularly where the party's boat is knocked over at Rhest and the A-Team suddenly finds it can't swim.

If you ever have time to drop some detailed builds, we'd love to see them.

Oh, and hi gang, I'm back! *waves*