Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
Is it really the plots fault if you choose to go do something else instead? The Urgency has a clear purpose.
But the whole "I must find my son" urgency is at loggerheads with the game style. It's an open world RPG, but if you're playing your character as you should be, you are going to make a bee-line for Diamond City as soon as you're told that's where you need to be looking. Forget exploring the open world, forget even wasting time taking out the bandits at the Corvega plant along the way, because none of that helps with your prime objective.

As I said earlier, if Bethesda wanted it to make sense that a parent frantically chasing the kidnapper of their son and murderer of their spouse would be randomly doing side-quests for people, they'd have made it so you don't find out exactly where to go to find your son literally ten minutes after leaving Sanctuary--they'd have you being forced to do detective work and to help out random folk along the way in the hope they'll tell you something. That's not what they did, and while that's by no means the biggest train wreck in the FO4 plot, it's the first one you encounter and so tends to be quite important.