Man, this IS really good. I lived on the streets of San Francisco (the Emperio Armani store has these nice columns out front that makes four person-sized sleeping cubicles to keep you out of the rain, and when i was there at least it was OK to sleep there as long as you were OK with the police coming to *verbally* wake you and tell you to move along at six am) for a little over 6 months close to a decade ago. Some reactions-

They talk about having a big bucket and a shovel for fire and bathroom needs, if yer camping out. If yer in a city, small cardboard boxes is what you need for bathroom purposes. Shoeboxes are a good size. I hope I don't need to elaborate.

They are VERY right that socks are one of the most important items to have. What you want is a pillowcase filled with paired socks. This is a good pillow, and more useful than stuffed animals IMO.

Panhandling is illegal in a lot of places. Laws vary a lot, but are tending more towards criminalization. SOMETIMES, though, there is a difference between panhandling and, for example, busking (playing music) or doing street art, or open-air vending (selling stuff from a blanket). You will always, ALWAYS get better results trading ANYTHING for money. Impromptu poetry. "selfie with a homeless person". Anything. It's stupid, but it makes people feel like they're helping someone who "deserves" it and so are more likely to stop and help. You'll feel better about yourself, and have something to help pass the time.

Free time is your enemy. Free time is what leads to alchohol and drugs and depression and suicide.

Bananas are super cheap for the nutritional value and, if you're camping, can be added to almost any skillet bread you might make.

My experiences were that humans aren't quite as dangerous as this person makes it seems, but of course it's gonna vary based on where you are. I was in San Francisco close to ten years ago, which was a pretty homeless-friendly city. Not everywhere is gonna be like that.

Non-chain restaurants can be your friend. Hang out outside near closing. If someone approaches you, ask if they have anything they are planning to dumpster you can have. Non-chain restaurants have the flexibility, for the employees/owner, to decide for themselves if they want to help you. Chain restaurants are a waste of time. This should never be your plan A because of the whole "wait and see if someone approaches you" thing but getting a room temperature pizza is a fricking miraculous treat, sometimes.

Author is right about trash/dumpster diving often being illegal, but if you see a restaurant that has trash cans out front at the curb, that's where you wanna wait. the only scenario where I'll approach a restaurant employee and ask for food is if they're in the process of tossing it out right then and there.

Trust your nose. Seriously. Food lasts a lot longer than the labels want you to believe. Your body KNOWS if food is safe to eat or not, if you can just make yourself listen.

Don't let yourself stop making eye contact with people. A lot of the time it's the difference between getting run off/molested by the police and being politely told about local law. It helps you feel good about yourself. Don't let yourself get stuck in the mode of going everywhere with your head down trying to appear harmless. That is the person bullies will target first. And we're NOT drinking or doing drugs, right? Right, good choice.

Jesus this is a really good comic.