View Single Post

Thread: Risen Martyr Connotations? (DnD 3.5e)

1. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Default Re: Risen Martyr Connotations? (DnD 3.5e)

Fractional BA is a variant, but it makes so much sense that I didn't realize that it was.

Regardless, you and I see this class very differently. You're zooming in on the ten levels of suck. I'm focused more on the quest aspect - the Risen Martyr is sent back for a reason and only stays until they complete their quest, or until level 11, whichever happens first.

Honestly, I would say it can fulfill my expectations - the rogue sent back to break his friends out of captivity, the Paladin who heals his companions, bolsters their faith, and sees them back to civilization before finding another bearer for his Holy Avenger. Either one should fade away after accomplishing that goal. It's not the worst possible exchange for a feat and a couple skill points, though it's far from optimal. Heck, I could see a player aiming for this as a means of retiring a character they were looking to move on from.

Looking at it more critically, I think that it probably should have been written as a three level class with great power (and yes, it should have closed a few more loopholes for losing experience), rather than a ten level class of meh.
    Last edited by Talanic; 2018-06-17 at 09:23 PM.
    You may think of me as:
    Struggling amateur author #3284728

Book one is on the Kindle now. It's a mix of hard science fiction and fantasy. How's that work? Surprisingly well.

I share the ebook version of it freely. Link to download it is at the top of that page.