Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
Yes, those are the seven liberal arts. They are split into the Trivium (grammar, rhetoric, logic) and the Quadrivium (arithmetic, geometry, astronomy and music).

I would probably keep them as the seven mundane liberal arts, and try to set up seven mystical liberal arts, three divine and four arcane (or vice versa)
I think you're missing an opportunity if you regard them as mundane arts. Music is certainly a magical practice for bards, and is prominent in a lot of fantasy, I would honestly expect it to be a major part of any large (meaning multi-participant) magical ritual, to aid with timing if nothing else. Grammar and rhetoric are probably important for any verbal caster and form the core of a truenamers studies. Logic is a high value course if you plan to bargain with any infernals. Geometry is important at the very least for magic circles, and broadens into geomancy with any Chinese influence. Astronomy and Astrology had not split yet in the 1500s and astrological horology would certainly have been a facet of study at the time, also often considered a means of insight into the divine.

I would think it would be more fun to mix them up.

Lecture ideas:
The use of Madrigals in the charming of monsters: Soothing the savage beast.
Grammar and illusion, the import of structured language on Phantasms.
Rhetorical tricks for getting the most from a Geas.
The Logic of the Divine, bargaining with gated angels.
Astronomy and Rebirth: A method for determining the efficacy of a Raise Dead spell by means of a horoscope with discourse on common pitfalls.
Perils of Planar teleportation, theory and methods of drawing a True circle in a curved space.
Logistics of frequently cast spells, a round table discussion of determining proper quantities of supplies for the common spell pouch. How to determine of you have enough guano to cast fireball, but not so much as to ruin your date. Recommended for freshmen.