Quote Originally Posted by hymer View Post
That's how I got the better part of my Dragon and Dungeon magazines, too. I never even knew my library had those available until I saw them being rotated out. That was a good day!
Around here, libraries sell off the donated books that they get at book sales several times a year rather than add those books to their collections (outside of special circumstances where the library can particularly use a copy of that book in their collection - I used to know someone who always read new Harry Potter books starting at midnight the night they were released and donated them to their local library later on release day, and those would get taken into the collection immediately since there was always a really long waiting list of library patrons who wanted a copy). Libraries also get rid of their excess books, and particularly their excess copies of the books they needed extra circulation copies of for the first year or two but need fewer copies of after the initial rush, that way. I've picked up a lot of books that way, usually books that I checked out of the library rather than bought initially. (I rarely buy books new in hardcover, and pretty much have certain price points I'll buy various books at depending on how much I care about owning my own copy. I buy most of my books used, and have lower standards at library book sales were things tend to cost $1 each than I do for regular used books.)