View Single Post

Thread: What to Watch Out for in Your Players

1. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Re: What to Watch Out for in Your Players

Things from games I've been in:

* Anyone who brags repeatedly about how well they know a system or lore-
    it's one thing if they're just talking about it, but if they're bragging about how good they are at optimizing, how comprehensive their knowledge is, etc. then I've found: A. They aren't and B. They're going to be rude to newer players and/or have trouble listening to the GM.

In at least one memorable example, I played with someone who went on about how well they knew VtM lore, in particular one specific clan. I later had a different player who understood the clan and the lore better after a 5-minute explanation from the GM, the girl had never even picked up a Vampire book.

* People who overshare ooc- most are drama magnets, whether that means creating it at the table or constantly dragging it in from somewhere else

* People who respond to being called out on bad behavior by offering flimsy excuses or playing the victim- Everyone screws up sometimes- metagames a bit, won't shut up, etc. But those who can't admit it and move on will likely be trouble. should be obvious, but I've gamed with a player that justified using metagame knowledge IC with "but I'm going to put ranks in that skill next time I level up!"

* People who seem to be trying to "win"- success is cool. We all love success. But watch out for players who seem to think it's a competition between them and the GM, or them and the other players, unless that's the presmise the game was operating under.
    Last edited by AshfireMage; 2018-06-27 at 01:56 PM.