Quote Originally Posted by ufo View Post
I was just lamenting to a friend that Shadowrun: Dragonfall is not held up as one of the greatest cRPGs of our time, which I truly think it is, especially compared to the dull tryhard fantasy drama of Torment: Fantasy Word Salad and Pillars of Redundancy.
For reasons I do not pretend to grasp, a lot of people really like Obsidian games. The only title they've developed that I've ever finished was Alpha Protocol, which was at least interesting, if deeply flawed in any number of ways. I found Pillars to be an excellent boredom simulator; the writing was both tedious and voluminous, and although the combat was decent it took a long time and there was a huge amount of it. It felt a lot like one of those fantasy novels where the author is just totally convinced that taking standard fantasy and subverting it a bit will, like, totally blow your mind, dude. Nevermind that some bog-standard subversions are honestly about the least interesting thing to do with conventional fantasy; there's still elves and dwarves and all, only now they probably aren't elves and dwarves I actually particularly enjoy.