View Single Post

Thread: Erfworld 39 (Page 38)

1. - Top - End - #120
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 39 (Page 38)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    Judging by panels 5 & 8, she has clearly (at the least) broken down into a crying jag.

My read is that:

1. Jillian's willingness to have a nice friendly chat with Wanda after Wanda has spent the night whipping her bloody is induced by Wanda's spell.

2. Jillian extended some friendship toward Wanda (the suggestion that they both escape) before the spell was cast. While it's possible that it was a cynical maneuver to save herself, I don't interpret it that way -- if it were, I think it would have been preceded by a clearer attempt to "sell" the idea (i.e. "your side is doomed and I'm offering you a chance to save yourself").

3. Wanda has offered some friendly/comforting comments, but it's unclear if there's anything behind them other than a skilled interrogator's craft in working (as opposed to working over) a prisoner.

What all this means? Beats me (pardon the expression in this context).
    I like the interpretations.

Personally, I'd like to imagine it's a mix of enmity and friendship. I could totally understand if they were, say, childhood friends (That's the most likely G-rated storyline IMHO) or harboring some romantic attraction (PG to R rating) - and if they just couldn't reconcile their feelings of friendship/romance with being on opposite sides of the battlefield.

I think there's a real unconscious reason why Jillian lets herself get captured time and again, which would underscore the point, here.
    Last edited by Konig; 2007-04-03 at 10:08 PM.