Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
In multiple other threads (especially now near #1128 when all the Order is down unconscious), I have seen people claim that the Giant said that when the Oracle makes the prophecy that Elan is going to get a happy ending, the Giant has written that for the readers to tell them that the OotS story is going to have a happy ending. In particular, they use this as an argument saying that the illusion in #887 does not fulfill this prophecy, nor does the whistle in #334 or the dinosaur slide on his best day ever with Tarquin. But I can't find the Giant saying this. Did he really, and can I get a link?
That the Happy Ending is supposed to be security blanket for the readers is a comment found in the published books (which is why it doens't feature here). Basically it does insure us from things like literal happy endings by reptilian ladies of the night e.g.

The Giant does also point out at the same time that "happy ending" may not be the same thing for the character as it is for the reader. Ie Durkon is happy about going to die and return home (as he thinks). It all boils down to Elan being a happy and optimistic person in general and that grimdark sad ending is not going to be happy for Elan, in the view of many readers.