View Single Post

Thread: D&D 5e Base Class Contest II Chat Thread

1. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: D&D 5e Base Class Contest II Chat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    @ Ivellius
    Phobiamancer is actually my class, but we have the same avatar, so no worries

I was looking over the Phobiamnacer and think that it has a lot of potential. Its features, especially the subclass ones, are very thematic. But the only issue is that the phobiomancer has very little to do in combat and is immensely under powered. I think that could easily be countered by making the Phobiomancer a spellcasting class.
    I got struck by some strong inspiration on changes I could make to the class, but this was on the last day of the contest, and unfortunately work kept me away from it. Basically the idea is to restructure the core class around Dreadful Stare and Mental Cracks (the bonus action fear and the damage-on-frightened abilities). Make that combo their basic combo and rebuild the class with that framework. I'd keep Instill Phobia and a handful of other features, especially Falter, all likely rebalanced for their new levels. The subclasses would have largely staid the same.

Though the class does have a decent amount of damage, it's just not usually flashy. Most of the class's damage exists in its subclasses. Arachnophobia gets its Poison legs and spider helpers, all of Claustrophobia does damage, and Thanataphobia gets its Wraith, as many Raise Dead'd zombies as it can, and a field of ghostly Opportunity Attackers. It's not a Big Damage class, but it has more than its first glance

Speaking of that, why doesn't the Phobioamancer already have spellcasting?
    It has some. It gets Phantasmal Force at 3rd level, Fear at 7th, and Phantasmal Killer at 11th. You can cast each spell twice/rest. I don't think that most spells fit into the idea of Fear, so I gave them the ones that do.
    Last edited by WarrentheHero; 2018-07-26 at 08:54 PM.