View Single Post

Thread: WIP. 3.5e M&M Style

1. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: WIP. 3.5e M&M Style

Quote Originally Posted by Composer99 View Post
    "Non-progressing" saves, BAB worse than "poor", 0 + Int skill points, "inept" weapon proficiency, and d0 hit points are a terrible idea in a game with as much number scaling as 3.5, especially if you're interested in participating in fantasy adventures with any kind of risk.

IMO, the default (0 cost) options are 3 bad saves, poor BAB, 2 + Int skill points, proficiency in some basic few weapons (probably what the wizard has, or close to it), and d4 hit points, and leave it at that.
    Terrible idea? Sure. But I've always had a soft spot for terrible characters. I've liked emphasizing on RP more than hack and slash. If it really is such a bad idea, the DM can ban those if they deem them inappropriate for a "high risk fantasy" game.

One suggestion for adding content: have you thought about adding in the "medium" save progression? (The d20 Star Wars game used them, dunno about other systems.) That progression is 1 + LEVEL*(4/10).
    I've never even heard of that before, so I can consider it.. though it honestly doesn't seem like too great of a difference to bother with, and will make costs even more complex.

Also, I would ditch those extra costs for Intelligence and Constitution. Character point systems are fiddly enough to deal with.
    The one part where I strongly disagree with you. I've had some experience building characters in M&M, and I found that the "optimal" way some build characters is to completely forgo all other stats, but just max out CON. Because it gave so many benefits at the most economical cost.

When you do the math, with d6 hit die being normal, then a d8 hit die on average yields you one more HP per level, with the incremental costs. As you level more, you get more HP, but you pay more. Constitution, on the other hand, with just a flat cost.. you pay once, and the more you level up, the more exponential it pays off. This is in addition to your fortitude saves, plus any other class features it may improve later. A smart munchkin will just pick the d4 or d2 hit die and then just massively pump their CON to get their HP.

See the disparity in the math yourself. Without the incremental cost to CON, getting 18 con costs 16 character points. At level 20, for instance, you would have boosted your HP by 80 for just 16 CP. But if you chose to get the largest hit dice of d12, you'd only be increasing your HP by 60 for the cool price of 60 CP. Given that scenario, who in their right mind would ever do the latter?? And yet, to cheapen the cost of increasing your hit die would seem to make it way too easy to inflate your HP. The only logical option was to nerf CON.

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Imagine that with those points we can buy class features.
    If we use the barbarian chassis(or the monk chassis which costs as many points per level) which is not awesome we spend 8 points per level and so have only 2 points per level to spend in class features which is 4 times less than if you pick a wizard chassis(which costs 2 points per level and so leaves you with 8 points per level).
    And do you think wizard spells will be free? I'll give you a little hint of what's to come: wizard spellcasting will have large incremental costs that put these "chassis costs" on par with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Since skills and base stats are in no way able to fight monsters from the manual of monsters you will need to make class features able to beat those monsters and getting 4 times more of those is probably way better than having a better chassis.
    I don't know what you mean. It's a flat out lie that skills do not have anything to do with fighting monsters or lack importance. Same thing with base stats.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2018-08-09 at 09:17 PM.