View Single Post

Thread: Reading Heir to the Empire

1. - Top - End - #1009
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Reading Heir to the Empire

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    You know, ive always interpreted this line as more "Once you do these things, you might realize they were bad, but the consequences will follow you forever."

If Vader had survived the Death Star II, he wouldn't be welcomed as a hero by the Alliance, or as a father by Leia, he's going to be the guy who restrained her and forced her to watch Alderaan explode. He's going to be the guy who led the assault on Hoth. He's going to be the guy who killed most of the Jedi. And even if Luke has enough clout to keep the Alliance from executing him on the spot, Anakin would still have to live with that.
    I seem to recall some theory crafting of "If Vader had survived" and its basically this. Luke is the only one willing to really give him a shot and a bunch of people want him executed. Mon Mothma has him locked up (as much for his saftey as anyone elses) and basically lets Luke sneak out with him later when things start getting worse.

Anakin actually wants to die and isn't happy that he survived. Largely because he knows he's screwing up Luke's life and hes constantly hurting Lea by simply existing, so he was fine with being executed. But when Luke comes to bail him out he goes along with it, because he knows Luke isn't going to let them kill him.

The theory crafting ended with Luke and Anakin going off into space to study the force and possibly rebuild the Jedi, with Anakin going to find a way to redeem himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    I said motifs are repeated. Tropes. You can apply it to the most trivial up to the most important.

The Empire always build a superweapon
    All people on Tatooine are moist farmers
    All Protocol Droids are prancy
    All correlians are good pilots
    Bothans are spy

Etc.. etc.. the writers of the EU just wanted to recreate the stories and elements of the original movies. Everything seen there became an overall generic trait in their world building.

Except Zhan. Or Stackpole. You know, the non-hack writers.
    They are inspired by Nazis, of course they will.
    Its a very dry planet that has low population density, yes lots of moisture farming goes on here.
    Now they aren't, the one from Rogue Squadron sure isn't and if they are its because they need to be diplomatic.
    Correlians are individualists which seems to translate into being pilots more often than otehr cultures, cuz, y'know, freedom.
    Have you looked at their culture? Its Byzantian Intruige from top to bottom.
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2018-08-10 at 03:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel