View Single Post

Thread: PC Friendly Goblin Subraces

1. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: PC Friendly Goblin Subraces

I think "Run For It" will almost never come up. It's not nothing, just not something I'd consider a plus when thinking up a goblin character. You could replace it with their original ability to Disengage as a Bonus Action, which would make them a very well-liked race right off the bat.
    An excellent point.

Greenskins are described as muscly and athletic, but they don't get a Strength bonus, which I find odd. Vicious Mockery is also an extremely good cantrip. Like, maybe too good. I sort of like my greenskin goblins not having magic, but that's the flavor you're going with. Their weapon proficiency are also pretty weak. Could give them handcrossbows instead?
    Originally the Greenskins did have a strength bonus, it was changed in one of the tweaks I've made but I haven't been happy with it and I may change it back as it better suits my original intention for them.

I don't disagree about Vicious Mockery, but I'm not sure what else to give them instead.

Handcrossbow doesn't really strike me as a goblin weapon. I was originally considering javelins, but since they are a simple weapon, the only classes that don't get proficiency with them are sorcerer and wizard anyway.

Gremlins are great! Though their ability modifier steps on the Spriggan's toes.
    This is another instance of the changes these have gone through muddling the field a bit.

Speaking of Spriggans, love 'em. Very nice flavor, though I'd give them Fire Resistance instead. Cold honestly almost never comes up, while Fire and Poison are very common.
    In their original version the Spriggan did have fire resistance, but they also resembled tieflings a little too closely, so as I reworked them I linked their devil origin to the coldest layer of hell and swamped out fire for cold. I don't really want to go back to fire, but I could see a switch to poison working well. However, that would have them stepping on the Boggart's toes.

Boggarts are the weakest so far, but I do like their description and flavor as well. You might want to also give them Poison Resistance along with that Advantage to saves.
    The Boggarts are honestly the least defined out of all of them to me. I did originally give them poison resistance, but it was pointed out to me that that might have been a bit overpowered. The more I think about it, the more I don't think that's really the case.

They are meant to be the sort of cleric option of the subraces, but I haven't really managed to make that come through in their traits and still keep the swamp dwelling flavor. I have been considering giving them the Druidcraft cantrip

While it is normal in 5e for race to give a +2 to an attribute and subrace to give a +1 I can't help but feel in a mono-race game it'd make for better distinctions between the subraces by swapping that around. Everyone's as dextrous as a goblin but not everyone's as tough as a greenskin or smart as a gremlin.
    This is something I've been going back and forth on since I started this project. I might have to take your advice and swamp the ability increases around again to help diversify the subraces.

-----EDIT-----

Decided to rework the abilities so no one was stepping on anyone else's toes and they all felt a bit more unique. Also reworked the Boggart to make them more like the shaman types they were intended to be.

Spoiler: Change Log
    Show
    Version 1.4
    • Changed common ability increase from +2 to +1
    • Change Run For It to a bonus action
    • Changed Greenskin ability increase to +1 Str and +1 Con
    • Changed Gremlin ability increase to +2 Int
    • Changed Spriggan ability increase to +1 Dex and +1 Int
    • Changed Boggart ability increase to +2 Wis
    • Changed Trow ability increase to +2 Cha
    • Returned Boggart resistance to Poison
    • Removed Boggart Tool Proficency
    • Added Boggart Shaman to Boggart traits
    Last edited by Outrider; 2018-08-24 at 05:11 AM.