1. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Savage Tide III: Tides of Dread [IC-Interactive RP Thread]

Spoiler: Rabbi Cohen >>> Hoggie
    Show
    Spoiler: GM
    Show
    Do I know what the headband, armor, or sword might be?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk101 View Post
    At the direct questioning, Hogarth’s piercing green gaze sharpens as awareness floods the man’s features and his eyes lock with Rabbi Cohen with a disturbing intensity. “My name is Hogarth Wainwright. People call me Hoggie. This is my friend Rusphalia or Rusty for short. Yes , I will have some water, Thank you. You are a dwarven type of Chalkdri. An angelic outsider with militaristic tendicies. You are a long way from home.”
    After the short outburst, Hoggie’s face goes slack and he stares into the air over Rabbi Cohen’s right shoulder.
    Rabbi Cohen looks at each in turn, "Mr. Wainwright ... Ms.? Mr.? Rusphalia ... a pleasure. And people looking for a more familiar with me can call me 'Doc Cohen.'" Looking back to Hoggie he nods several times deeply again with a broad smile to show he's impressed. "It's actually chalkydri, but yes, very impressive. I am quite skilled in planar lore and cosmology, but I had to look to Moradin's gifts to find out what I actually am. That ties into home. I'm from an enclave of seacliff dwarves that live in the Sasserine area. The only difference with I and 'my people' is that the seacliff dwarves can hold their breath for a very long time, but I was blessed from birth with gills - something entirely separate from what even a chalkydri would possess. I thought I was simply a gifted one of the Seacliff all of my life until my life began to take a more adventurous bent and I began to discover the power of my heritage over time. The guess has been angel, but you are the first person I've ever met that's been able to define it so precisely. You even seem to know the tendencies of the chalkydri, and that gives you a wing up on me."

With Hoggie's strange poetic chant, Rabbi Cohen simply observes Hoggie (yup, very much like a therapist).
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk101 View Post
    Hoggie takes his first two fingers as he speaks and then touches his temple and then reaches towards Rabbi Cohen’s temple before stopping inches away. He repeats the motion twice before smiling expectantly at the space over Rabbi Cohens shoulder and nodding.
    Rabbi Cohen shakes his head, and Hoggie only really gets close to his head (and the big, black-brimmed hat he wears) once when the dwarf-angel stops his hands from getting closer. "Sorry, Mr. Wainwright, but if that is a pantomime request to somehow enter my mind psychically or psionically, I am going to say 'No' for this first meeting. Use your words, please. Your words."

Spoiler: Rabbi Cohen >>> Vona
    Show
    Spoiler: digiman
    Show
    Okay, every time I see a set of brackets, I assume that you obviously don't speak character sheet to me, but you are trying to tell me in some way of your capabilities. So, every time you go to brackets I assume that the fluff portion ends and you go on a tangent with Rabbi Cohen, using introductory phrases or whatever someone knowledgeable in these things might know, telling anecdotes to emphasize physical prowess, and whatever. You will actually find that Rabbi Cohen is more than fine going down these rabbit holes because he not only likes to talk, but he is a fellow academic and it has been awhile since anyone has been willing to just nerd-babble with him.

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Vona raised an eyebrow at the rabbi's introduction. "Wow. It's been about a decade since a non-gnome got that right. Yes, though I tend to go by Vona as it's shorter. I was originally going by Lona as it was a part of my name but someone made a typo and it stuck. And yes, I'll love a drink of water." She takes a deep drink before continuing.
    As Rabbi Cohen gets her some water, he adds, "I'll be honest, I have never learned how to read or speak gnome. This form I'm blessed with allows me to speak and understand the spoken language of anyone I'm with, but only while I am present with them and they are actually speaking that language. I keep the memory of what was spoken-translated, of course, but I don't 'pick up a new language' every time I meet someone. In fact, I'm not entirely convinced that I even speak that language, but this truespeech is some form of linguistics that is whatever I choose to speak - while keeping in mind I am choosing to use truespeech - because everyone around me understands me when I use it, regardless of their own speech capabilities."
    "Yes, I took out the orc. It's a pity that he was dumb enough not to focus on the obvious threat and instead attack Ruby. It's as though he was playing some sick game and went for the most points possible or something." She shook her had sadly. "Still, to the task at hand. I'm an engineer by trade, so I have an understanding about machines and how they work.[[+19 Kn: Engineering, +17 Disable Device]].
    Rabbi Cohen is completely in awe at Vona's engineering knowledge, and has absolutely no knowledge or training of the weird technical things you mention later. However, he might still impress her. His knowledge DOESN'T EVEN COME CLOSE, and yet his grounding in engineering principles is very solid (> +10, but not by much). Surprisingly (or perhaps not), he also claims to have a solid grounding in being able to apply his engineering knowledge in dangerous situations to be able to overcome all manner of mundane traps, but he is not like Shouting Tree, whom he claims can actually do the same with magical traps (Disable Device is ~+10).
    I also do a lot of building, while mostly mechanical things, I can do simpler things like swords and armor easily enough. [[Create Wondrous Object, Forge Ring, +18 Craft (Weapon and armorsmith)]].
    Again, he's impressed by your ability to make lasting works of art (to him), which is fitting as a priest of Moradin, the Soulforger. He has no ability to make magically-charged objects. His dwarven training was in the fashioning of armor, but he has only the most basic apprenticeship skill, backed up by a keen intuition (Craft [armor] +8). He does love to "talk forge," though.
    And while I don't really like to add to the sterotype of "the tricksy gnome", I am quick on my feet, and I can hide when I need to [[+17 Acrobatics, +17 Stealth, +12 UMD]]."
    Rabbi Cohen trained himself in the latter part of his adventuring to wear heavy armor, and part of mysterious gifts that he and others received when they shipwrecked on the Isle of Dread, his was a suit of fabulous mithral armor and his hammer. Unfortunately, his armor was destroyed in battle, but it still saved his life during the time he had it. Even when his arms were weaker than a human farmer, he was possessed of extraordinary agility among his people, but he never tried to capitalize on it with anything so wild as acrobatics. He enjoys the nearly supernatural reaction time he's been given to respond to situations or get out of the way of danger, but he would much rather be able to face a dangerous day wrapped in well-forged steel or better. Still, for most of his early career he was a physically weak dwarf with stronger folk about him, and he learned the value of a soft step (Stealth ~+10). Because of his extremely academic background and that others in his group in his earlier career were more physical, it fell to him to figure out how to work magic to make it work for the party. (We're matched with a +12 UMD!)

[GM-Question Break...]
    Spoiler: GM ...
    Show
    Before doing the breakdown for the following section, what does Eliezer know about SoP stuff?
    EDIT: And akashic magic?
    "As far as combat capabilities, I have this." She brings up a strange mechanical gauntlet, with odd wires and crystals festooned upon it, but all streamlined; there's no random parts to get caught on things. "This is the Forward-emitting Ion Stabilization Technology, or F.I.S.T. for short. Yes, I know that it should technically be the F.I.E.S.T,, but that ruins the flow. With it, can encase the device and therefore my fist with a field of negatively charged ions, which I can use to deal damage to objects, either via direct contact or via essentially a ray of charged particles [[Destruction sphere, base blast only, Destructive Blade]]. I can also use it to effectively create constructs of known matter by the application of energy to mimic true matter. It works best with classical elements like stone, but I can get some organic materials like wood. I've even been able to make some alchemical creations, but I have yet to make the matrix fully stable, however, so the matter decays into nothingness. Best I've been able to manage thus far is a few hours, but I keep working on figuring it out. [[Creation, alchemical creation, classical materials]]."

"I also have some familiarity with the local magic the natives used after they rescued me after a flash flood. Took the longest time to convince them that I wasn't a child, but a gnome and therefore supposed to be this size, though I don't think they were fully convinced until my brother showed up with a rescue party about a month later and they saw his beard. Still, I learned a lot about the Akasha as they call it. I admit to not really knowing the difference academically; I understand magic more in its practical applications [[No Kn: Arcana, but +18 Spellcraft]], but the way they weave the energy is really fascinating, like a circuit."

After helping herself to another drink, so turns to the Rabbi. "Is there anything else you'd like to ask? Or perhaps you want a practical demonstration?"
    Last edited by PSinger; 2018-08-31 at 09:37 AM.
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Legacy of Fire: Water Prince Rafiq Karim
    Rise of the Runelords: Keghart Valdemar & Valbard the Velociraptor
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth
    Serpent's Skull: Harsk! (yes, that one)
    Shattered Star: Lilim
    Strange Aeons: Dorn