1. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XCIX: Leakier Than A Changeling Bathtub!

Spoiler: Luna!SuperDreadnought
    Show

Okay, time to pick ponythread's brains, especially them As Can Art (and most especially Meto).

As I have done little useful work this week (thanks to Shapeways) and I just did not feel like starting a moderns thing, I decided I will look ahead to what I would be doing in the convention in March - which is nominally the Phystyulon ground force.

As a break from tradition (and partly becauses sizes), I have thus been attempting to start with infantry.

Relevant description of elenthnar phsiology.

Spoiler
    Show
    An elenthnar stands about two metres tall. They have four legs, placed at four “corners” of the lower body and structurally similar to a spider’s or insect’s, with a wide span. The legs end with six vestigial toes on the feet. They have two arms, with a five fingered hand and one opposable thumb.

The head is characterised with a foreshortened muzzle, beneath which is a wide, strong maw. There are two small nostrils in the muzzle. While elenthnars have a sense of smell, it is somewhat basic and they rely more on their eyes and ears. They possess two large eyes, which function well in both very bright and very little light, due to a complex series of iris muscles and lenses. They also can see further into the IR and UV spectrum than most baseline HPE races. Eye colour is typically a shade of brown, but may also appear in shades of green, red, orange, pink, grey or blue.

The head has four ears. Two, placed atop the head, are conical and are similar to mammalian ears in form and function. They are fringed with small hairs, the length and thickness with various by individual - and style, since these are sometimes dyed, cut or otherwise adorned. A smaller pair of ears are not as visibly external, but located on the sides of the head, towards the rear. Elenthnar hearing is both more acute and more robust than most humanoid species. In concert with their voices, with effort and training, elenthnars can even use a form of echo-location, though the individuals with these skills are uncommon. Unlike many species with sensitive hearing, elenthnar ears have a high pain and damage threshold and they can tolerate much louder sounds than a most humanoids without discomfort (almost three times the human threshold).

Elenthnars are covered with a thickened skin, but otherwise lack body hair. Their skin is typically a dark-to-tan brown, depending on racial stock. Varying by ethnicity, elenthnars have spots, stippling or striping patterns of muted green. Plain individuals are rare, but not unheard of, though this can be linked to deleterious conditions, including albinism. The elenthnars wear a wide variety of clothing styles, varying by culture and personal preference.

Elenthnars display moderate sexual dimorphism. Males and females are not disparate in size, but have different secondary sexual characteristics.

Like many of Urrot’s creatures, elenthnars are capable of bioluminescence. The primary usage in the elenthnar’s family is for sexual display. Both males and females have two organs which create a bioluminescent pattern on their upper chest areas (the organ is called a nacr in Zoxyriat ), which (in the case of the elenthnars specifically) fluoresces during arousal. The female organs (nacri when being specifically referred to) are larger and more elaborate. These organs are part of the defining features of the elenthnars and their closest relative’s official taxonomic classification (as can be seen in their biological species name).

This is, then pass one.

Spoiler
    Show

This is a human torso, albeit with the proportions changed a tiny bit (more of a suggestion of a chest-bulge, especially if viewed from the side). The legs are approximately spider-formet, though again, I used (for ease) the humananoid leg components, just added and re-scaled a bit.

I know the hands are occulding into the legs a bit, but you can chalk that up to the hands being ina human resting position, combined with the fact that this is, after all, full body armour and sized for 144th scale, and thus chunky proportionately for minimum thicnkess (ditto for the feet looking thick).

Things like the leg joints will a) barely be visible at 144th scale and b) likely covered with extra armour plates (as I do with most body armour), so the joint will be better at finish.

I am... Not terribly happy with the ears on the helmet, but I am not quite sure how they would accomodated. Being sort of fennik-fox-like ears, I doubt the elenthnar would especially appreciate them being pused flat like human hair, but... Well. My first attempt made them look more like MLP pony heads. (Thicking the maw - it's supposed to be wide, after all, helped a bit.) But... I really could use some suggestions on making it look less... Like it is.

(For what it's worth, considering the head fits inside a 2mm cube...)

Edit:

The pause for thought making this post gave me an idea for a different approach for the ear thing:

Spoiler
    Show

Better, maybe...?
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2018-09-07 at 11:20 AM.