Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
Going back to how CRISPR isn't magic (and neither are ERVs in general, which would be the major case for "viral") altering expressed DNA in a meaningful way in an adult organism is another one of those things we can't really do. If you were doing this to humans (and good luck getting that past review boards) you'd basically have to use egg/sperm cells, and even then there's all sorts of potential issues.

Just look at the attempts of biohackers, and how they've accomplished approximately nothing.
I wonder how long till you can buy a brand name dog/cat. Breeds tell you a great deal about what traits you can expect from a dog, but there are always exceptions. Clones could get rid of most of those variations (and appeal to those who just demand everything they own be "top brand").

The other thing I'd expect in the way of new pets are improved rabbits (more willingness to be picked and cuddled, less lethal constipation, less likely to use the house as a litterbox) and koalas (similar cuddliness, less stinkiness). Most of this is basic neoteny (young bunnies and joeys allow cuddling, but often grow out of it). Sadly, rabbit most rabbits are sold on Easter and don't live more than a month, so I don't expect much in the way of rabbit breeding for people not already determined to raise a "traditional" rabbit.