1. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Would You Be My New Best Friends? (Doctor Who redux)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ultron View Post
    Harm and injury in general, even more so pain. She can fall down and do 'sci fi' violence...but anything more real and people might not like it.
    "People might not like it" - I feel like your objections are based on some kind of hypothetical SJW rather than any real argument anyone's made.

A good example might be when the 11th Doctor was poisoned (by a Janius Thorn?) and spent the whole episode dying, flopping around and screaming in pain.

Psychological counts too....lock a guy up for 800 years and have him by tortured by memories/nightmares, no problem....

Or real torture in general...like when Davros tried to steal 'regeneration' from the 12th Doctor
    These are fairly extreme examples, and yeah I could see why people would object to some versions of them. But in all these cases the context is important - is it relevant and important to the plot of the episode? How does the character respond? How is the scene constructed and shot- how is the viewer placed?

Even the Defabricator is a good example(though not directly to a Doctor) : Zap off Captain Jacks clothing(and of course show nothing)...no big deal, it's even funny...he looks at the camera and says ''ladies your viewing figures just went up"...and it's all perfectly OK. But with a Lady Doc....

But even things like...''oops the Doctor got unwillingly married"...it's funny, for a guy doc.
    An interesting point! But I can't see a way to specifically discuss it without skipping straight away from Doctor Who and into open political talk. What I will say, though, is that if you're concerned about them being unwilling to make sexual jokes with a female doctor, did you see any episode with Missy in? Any at all? Literally any line she said?

.Given what happened to Bill, I think any concerns about the Dr. Who writers not wanting to get rough on women may be a teensy bit unfounded
    Remember when they had a woman who described herself as "born to save the doctor" - something she achieved mostly by dying over and over again?
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2018-10-12 at 02:46 AM.