Having now seen the episode, I'm inclined to agree with the criticisms of it.

Spoiler
Show
It was alright for a monster-of-the-week, but the actual plot wasn't all that compelling. And not-Trump was just a little on point and more directly political than I like from my Doctor Who. I much prefer the show to attack ideals or ways of thought (like racism from last week) rather than a specific, current political figure.

Also, for some reason it felt like Chris Noth was channeling Jerry Orbach at times. Maybe it's the eyebrows?

As someone who does not like spiders but is not outright arachnophobic, I wasn't particularly scared by the episode. The spiders are big enough to break my suspension of disbelief. I've been far more creeped out by stuff like the scarab swarm from The Mummy.

I didn't agree with the anti-gun stance in this particular case. They aren't just wild animals - they're sick wild animals that have demonstrated a willingness to attack humans. I would not be in favor of shooting a wolf because it attacked a farmer's sheep - it's a wolf, and that's what wolves do. But a rabid wolf running about a town center? You put it down.

In addition, the method given by the Doctor is stated to be more humane. How? You've locked them in a vault where they will gradually starve and then turn on one another for food. That's no more natural than giving them a quick death by shooting them, and far less humane.

I'm really starting to dig Graham. His dry sarcasm is a perfect match for the Doctor's enthusiasm, and the scene in his house was really powerful. I still don't quite have a handle on Yas and Ryan yet, although I do like all of them.