...and I was surprised by how empty I felt at the end of it. Now the anime we get on Netflix may not be the greatest, but I expected something more.

The problems I had with it:

Spoiler
Show
The protagonist has no urgent goal. The protagonist has no urgent threat he needs to respond to. The protagonist's challenges have a marked lack of tension in them. The only things that came close were the battle against the Phrase construct and then the dragon that couldn't speak. But other than that, he just powers through things without even trying. He develops a bewildering array of new abilities, which he can then combine for greater effect, just by seeing them once. It's like watching someone play a video game on Very Easy mode.

Comedy? Tiny pieces here and there. Romantic tension or interpersonal drama? It's a cheap harem plot with annoying amounts of eye candy. Character development? The characters start uninspired and keep going in that direction. Action, art, and animation? Average at best.

I was hanging on, either for an opponent that could somehow match him, or a scenario where his capabilities would be pushed to the limit. But it never happened. Just easy wins and eye candy.

I hear it's based on a novel series, so maybe it's a bad adaptation or something, I'd like to hear from those who know more.