Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
"Ombre" is indeed shadow (see related English word 'Umbra'), but "vite" is fast, not life. The Man Who Was Faster Than His Shadow, roughly (you notice he outdrew his shadow). I'd guess the dog one is the reverse.
Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
"The man who shoots faster than his shadow"

"The dog dumber than his shadow".

"Ombre" is indeed shadow, however, I am afraid you confused "vite" (quick/fast) and "vie" (life).

If you don't know the Lucky Luke comic, I cannot recommend it enough.

They are written by René Goscinny (the man behind Astérix, Iznogoud and Le Petit Nicolas), except the very first ones and those after his death (obviously), so that gives you an idea of the tone and quality.

It's a western parody. One day, one american fan told Goscinny that he was amazed by the quality of his translation. It took Goscinny a moment to realize that since the artist signed "Morris" (his first name Maurice is prononced pretty much the same way), the fan had believed that Morris was an american man and the original author. Because the capture of western style was just that good. Goscinny said that man's honest mistake was the highest compliment his work ever received.

Rantanplan is a comic-relief who was popular enough to get his own spin-off. I find those "meh"-worthy personnally.

Edit: (The pictures are the back-covers, they are quite iconic 'round these parts).
I thought it would be "man faster than his shadow," but the vite threw me. I blame French for not being Romantic enough. And maybe a tiny smidgeon of blame for my Latin days being a decade and a half ago. Mostly French's fault, though.

Also, I love Asterix! Shame that all the ones I have are in German. I take solace in my good English Tintin books.