1. - Top - End - #380
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Would You Be My New Best Friends? (Doctor Who redux)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeivar View Post
    {Scrubbed}
    Or if you're not going to do that, the least you can do is avoid actively feeding until the mods eventually arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    It damaged her Ectospleen, which, and I admit I am not a doctor, I don't think humans have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    She was closer to it? Also different anatomy.
    Okay yeah, obviously it affected her differently because she's an alien. (Or to quote an alien I once heard: "Smart boy! Biology." )

I guess the question I really meant to ask was "do we think either that specific difference, or the damage she incurred, will come up later on as a plot point." Because other than limping in a few scenes it didn't really seem to have an effect on the story we saw, other than maybe making the Doctor a little bit headstrong/hasty so that Astos could shine by defying her. Specifically, what I got from it was that she has a weakness to sonic weaponry that we don't share, which a future villain may try to take advantage of and illustrate even more clearly the fundamental series point that The Doctor Needs A Companion (or three!)

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    I liked it well enough but the series is settling in to "solid" rather than the "excellent" i was hoping for.
    I'm kinda in the same boat. For me, Doctor Who's strength has always been its ability to be both a disconnected sci-fi anthology (think Twilight Zone/Outer Limits/Scary Door) while also having juicy continuity and overarching plots. So far, Jodie's run has plenty of the first but none of the second, or if there are hints at the season climax they've been really subtle up until now.

Anyway, episode minutiae:

Spoiler
    Show
    To me the highlight of the episode was Astos. Competent, strongwilled enough to get the Doctor to listen to reason and good-natured enough to spend the last moment of his life (why did the pod explode again?) helping another. The actor did a really good job.
    Whatever it uses for power went critical due to all the other damage. It was just enough of a coincidence to keep us guessing about the MotW's motivations.

Yeah, I really liked that the Doctor was clearly in the wrong in the opening sequence. I'll take a protagonist who can admit to goofing up over an always-right one every day.
    Same, and I'm always happy to have ready examples of the Doctor being fallible.

Spoiler
    Show
    No the Doctor armed the bomb, not the hospital. You get three denial when the hospital is signalled something dangerous. Which must mean they blow you up on the fourth. They never received the fourth.
    Ah, my bad, missed that detail.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2018-11-08 at 11:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)