1. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Just saw In Another World With My Smartphone...

Quote Originally Posted by Zalabim View Post
    Well call me very forgiving, because while the pace was sedate, or a sedative, there were some good comedy moments with the names of skills and calls back to those skills at choice moments, and the hint of something deeper whenever it delved into the mechanics of different abilities (like the difference between the in-universe item box and his video game inventory) or the suggestion that there's more going on behind the world with his memories and how he doesn't fit into the usual explanations for his situation. There's some unfortunate moments where it goes from 0 to harem (or worse) in 2 seconds, but he usually derails those in short order as well. All he wants is a nice woman his own (actual) age, of whom he is not the legal owner. It's a weird show. I wouldn't recommend anyone watch it.
    It had a number of moments where it went into pedantic detail about the world, but none of its couched in any kind of tension where the conclusions he reaches are narratively interesting. They're mostly there because the author wants to talk about them through him - and it fills up chapters space - but they come off as someone trying to break the system in a video game rather than ya'know, mattering. It's like reading a Superman comic where he exploits his ice breath to make his refrigerator more environmentally efficient, and then finding out that it's part of an intense three comic arc.

Which is vexing especially because his extended cast get little to no characterization whatsoever while spending time muddling through his vast arrays of powers which he's arbitrarily deciding to use at that moment.

It was the same with Knight's and Magic - which the anime is notably better than than the web novel because of how much it edits out - you get pages upon pages upon pages about the protagonist learning the world's magic system and how he casually redefines it to serve his purposes, but the supporting characters are left cardboard cutouts that circle around him because I guess they have to exists too.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2018-11-07 at 03:28 AM.