View Single Post

Thread: Trickery Domain: As bad as it seems?

1. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Trickery Domain: As bad as it seems?

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    The plural of anecdote is not data. For your future reference.
    *rubs temples* The plural of anecdotes is not data, BUT the survey of people other than me not being 100% in agreement that "Trickery Cleric is good" is a fact. Hence, the fallacy doesn't apply because the statement is whether or not people agree with me, which directly contradicts your statement.
    When you make badly supported generalizations, you can expect to be called on them. You were. My dislike of a great deal of the discourse on the GiTP forums has to do with the attempt to digitize and numerically pigeon hole every small element of a game that is NOT a computer game.
    Then you provide evidence, which you did not, and your statement was blatantly evidence free and fact free. It's very light. Probably about as thinning as a celery diet.

The game is a system of logic like a computer game. Unless someone is homebrewing something, that is the logic we play with.
    A key variable in any play experience is, for example, the campaign the group is playing in.
    Guides, while helpful, are narrowly focused and do not represent the broad spectrum of play experience.
    What some of them do, on the other hand, is aid and abet those who have a particular form of optimization in mind. Which is cool.
    Your argumentum ad populum fails.

My core agreement with most of the commentary on this topic remains:
    Divine Strike psychic damage would have made more sense to me. (Easily fixed at any table that cares to)

Beyond that, if you aren't having fun playing a Trickery Cleric, you must be doing it wrong.
    Quantification is a valuable tool. If there is nothing mechanical about a class that fulfills an objective better than a similiar option, the class is a just bad. The point of these discussions is only partially anecdotal. The content of the class is the only thing that can be considered generally consistent between tables (and saying it's fine because of a fix is Oberoni). The Trickster Cleric is qualitatively bad at what it does, and is deficient at performing it's character archetype it's designed for compare to a broad list of other classes that do the same thing but better.

I think we all agree we can still watch an awful movie or play an awful game with some friends and still have fun. That doesn't make the game or movie any better than it is. If you're having fun, that's ok, but don't say that it necessarily means something is good.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2018-11-29 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Trickster CLERIC*
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.