View Single Post

Thread: Ultimate Spy/Confidence Trickster

1. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Ultimate Spy/Confidence Trickster

I will say that you could go with other bard subclasses and do just fine, if you like any of the other subset abilities. The meat of the stuff I've been using is all core bard. It's just that Whispers' ability to spike a weapon attack and throw in some extra shady powers is a tasty pairing.

Now you're thinking with portals! Er... illusions. Careful about Minor Image, though; it's a stationary image for the visuals. So no rolling/bouncing/glinting. Still useful, but lv 1 spell Silent Image is your first movable illusion opportunity.

The sound option is more flexible, though. You may not need or want bigger illusions.

Funny story. I beat the odds when rolling stats aaand got a 3 which ended up plugged in strength. The character's disability made for some funny moments. Like unlocking a door with a flick of his wrist during a party retreat-- then ineffectually beating himself against it anyway because it was slightly stuck in the doorframe and may as well have stayed locked. Early levels are fun. :P

Still, I'd recommend using Dimension Door for urgent escapes or strategic battlefield positioning/hiding for yourself and friends more than obstacles. Nothing wrong with party pals gently pushing you away while they deal with said obstacles.

Another benefit of going bard? If you're a performer with reliable skills, sometimes you can just use that as your excuse to get in places. "I'm the night's entertainment" and all. Not going to be your only tactic, of course, but it's not like that one is easy to discredit. You just need to watch for places it fits.

Heh. I like the vanity aspect on the shapeshifter. Is that less super model vanity and more artistic vanity? "I spent ages designing this face, and now you've gone and cut it up. Rude."
    Last edited by dragoeniex; 2018-12-01 at 12:47 AM.