I have done what you're about to do about 5 times. I just used the box set Lost Mines of Phandelver. It's a very good starter adventure, actually quite enjoying and deserves a mention as one of the better ones yet.

I used the pre made characters, just hand them out and let them choose one. Have lots of snacks and stuff on hand. I just run through it really quickly, "here's all your skills, you'll need to roll THIS die everytime I ask to roll 'skill'. Here's your hit points, here's your armor, here's your weapons and heres your spells, etc."

I tell them that I run through it quickly so they can start playing, I tell them that the character sheet is just like a stat card that has what their powers are. They don't what melee weapons are anyway! "One of your powers is you can attack with your Longsword, up close, or your Longbow, from some distance away."

I also tell them I will address them by their character name and whatever they say is in character, unless they tell me "Out of Character" or when I have it available, an OOC paddle. (it's just a depressor stick with a laminated cut out that says OOC on it. They hold it up when they want to talk out of character - cheesy but it works!)

I explain things like low light vision and such just a little, then we get into the story.

Once we get going, I just have them get their feet wet in a short combat or maybe a non-combat confrontation and then take a quick break, once back from break I go over the sheet once more just to clarify things - repetition is the mother of memorization. I do this once more near the end of the session. I give them breaks so they can think through things, I listen for feedback, make sure EVERYONE is having fun so they come back the next time to finish the adventure or perhaps they decide that everyone has time to plow through to the end.

I also make sure to reward them with silver or gems. I keep a tight hold on magic items and utilize first aid. I give them opportunities for short rests as well.

Final Note: D&D 5E is a different animal. It is not 3.5 or anything else, it has it's own quirks and personality. Given that, be sure to understand where to find everything, some things aren't on the DM screen. If I have time, I print out all special rules and spells that they will be using. When I'm feeling really generous or the new players are younger, I print things out on cards. Weapons are RED, and Spells are GREEN. I know that doesn't make sense but if you got only 2 choices it's less confusing.

That's my experience, hope it helps. Good luck! Be confident, be the DM!