View Single Post

Thread: System for modern military?

1. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: System for modern military?

Quote Originally Posted by Protato View Post
    Basically, the level of crunch. I'm not looking to simulate every aspect of a fight, I'm just looking to tell a war story a la Fury or Blackhawk Down. After doing some more research on my own, I've looked up a hack for Apocalypse World 1e called The Regiment, and that looks fairly close from skimming the sheets. However, there's no sheet for the game on Roll20, and it also appears to be for first edition. How much work would it take to adapt it into 2e? Additionally, while I myself am bringing this suggestion up I'm still open to hearing other people's suggestions, and for feedback on The Regiment if anyone has any to share.
    Look at Twilight2000 V2.2 (not the original). It is based on 1D20 with a ROLL UNDER mechanic. To determine a Skill you add a Skill Level (rated from 1 to 10) to a Characteristic Score (also rated from 1 to 10) to get an Average Chance of Success with that skill. Initiative is rated from 1 to 7 with high score going first. Hit points are generous so death won't be immediate. The game is available at Far Future Enterprises and it plays fairly smoothly. I have had to make only a couple of changes to run my Mercenary campaign. They are...

Skill Difficulty Chances are NOW based on Traveller's Difficulties:
    Average Skill Level (Characteristic + Skill Level = SKILL or a 10 for a perfectly average character with a 5 Skill and a 5 Characteristic)
    Easy Skill Level (SKILL X 2 or a 20 for the character above)
    Routine Skill Level (SKILL X 1.5 or a 15 for the character above)
    Difficult Skill Level (SKILL X 0.5 or a 5 for the character above)
    Formidable Skill Level (SKILL X 0.25 or a 3 for the character above)
    Impossible Skill Level (SKILL X 0.1 or a 1 for the character above)

You record these Skill Levels and then just "shift" the Difficulty Level for things like target obscured, shooter's wound level/fatigue, or movement during play. This makes skill resolution very fast and fairly easy.

The second change I make is to Initiative. I like a randomized initiative so I have my characters roll 1D6, add this to their INITIATIVE SCORE. I then divide this score by 2 (round up) and this is the number of ACTIONS that character can take in that round. These actions include reloading, firing and movement. The average initiative in this system is 3 Actions.

Just remember that you need Version 2.2's PDF. The earlier version was more complex.
    Last edited by olskool; 2018-12-21 at 03:00 PM.