Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
I like the first point. But on the second one, I don't want to add too many complications into it. Making the Initiative move up and down when it's not super relevant is easy, since it's just a number, but moving it in combat really causes things to get weird and uncomfortable.

One of my long-lasting goals is to make players more conscious about their actions, but I want to avoid making it a chore, you know?

A fix to the whole "out of initiative order" thing is just to have it so that when someone attempts to do something out of order (and someone wants to contest it), then the person with the highest initiative order makes their action first, rather than a sort of "stack" that resolves in reverse order.

I do like what you said about it, though. Thank you for taking the time to try and understand my ramblings.
I'm definitely not saying to change it in combat, just to prevent it from ending up at something like 65 or -40 because of how it's constructed. Always moving towards numbers keeps it in a particular range.