View Single Post

Thread: Dawn of Hope: On Dragons

1. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Dawn of Hope: On Dragons

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    I'm using 5e, so the assumptions here just don't hold.

Hatchlings are basically animals (no significant individual mind). It's only after the First Molt that they become individuals and become wyrmlings. After that, the chance of dying in molt comes down to getting killed by another being (and since wyrmlings are protected by their flights, they're pretty safe).

And there's no automatic progression--a wyrmling only becomes a young dragon when it finds an idea for its hoard. And creatures don't pick up class levels or gain XP in 5e (as a general thing, there are exceptions). And wyrmlings don't get spellcasting (my mechanical idea is basically casting similar to a sorcerer of level = CR - 4, and no wyrmlings have CR > 4). Oh, and 5e spell-casting doesn't cost XP.

Edit: and dragons are not a playable race (there's no such thing as level adjustment, for one thing).

So basically, none of the assumptions in your post, @noob, apply to my dragons.

And speaking thematically, wyrmlings are somewhat obsessive about finding a hoard. They tend to investigate everything, being the "curious cat" archetype. This is genetically hard-coded into them. A dragon that does not find a hoard or has a too small of a hoard will starve to death. No amount of regular food can provide enough energy to support a young+ dragon; even wyrmlings are constantly hungry. For a dragon, evolve or die is a physiological imperative. Only the final molt to become an Ancient is optional, and that depends mostly on the social pressures of other dragons in the flight. When the ruling ancient dies/leaves/whatever, one of the adults usually undergoes the Final Molt to replace them. If not, the flight disbands and they all go their separate ways.

Pseudo and faerie dragons are dragon-adjacent creatures--pseudo-dragons are a separate species and faerie dragons are a fey-touched variant of pseudo-dragons.
    seriously hatchlings are people:

Eggs hatch into hatchlings about the size of a large cat, albeit one with wings, scales, and teeth. These newborns gain strength rapidly, growing over about a year’s span until they’re the size of a large dog with a 4-6’ wingspan. While hatchlings, the dragons also pick up information quickly. They’re born with the ability to speak Draconic, but many pick up various mortal languages by the time they become wyrmlings.
    Sorry but a creature that can talk and learn new languages quickly is everything but an animal: hatchlings are people (in fact smart people since normal people can not right after birth learn a new language in less than a year and you used a plural meaning that they can even become polyglots meaning they are exceptionally intelligent) and not even sightly animals.
    In fact if those hatchlings counts as animals and not as people we could say humans are not people at all during their whole life.

In some previous edition having a language did make you have at least 3 int and 3 int was considered the minimum intelligence to be a person.(below you have animal intelligence)

I am sorry in my previous post I wanted to talk about hatchlings for the whole post but I forgot that your homebrew had a different name for the youngest age category and I said wyrmling by error while I meant hatchling at each time.
    So what happens if I resurrect a hatchling that died during molting?
    Last edited by noob; 2019-01-10 at 12:16 PM.