Quote Originally Posted by OverLordOcelot View Post
The differences are irrelevant. Sally has already made her bigotry clear, and there's nothing unreasonable about saying "I don't want to hang around with people who object to race mixing, or same-sex marriage, or to Jews existing, or anything like that." That freedom of association thing is really pretty simple.
I'm going to slightly shift sides, but I'm ending up halfway between you guys. In this hypothetical situation in which Sally backs down, and decides that her friends are more important than being a bigot, I do think the right thing to do is to keep her. I wouldn't tear apart someone who decided they didn't have the energy for that, but I think that if she is actually willing to make an effort, having friends who will support her while also making it real clear they don't support bigotry and will continue to hold the line means the possibility that Sally will learn better. Cutting her loose just reinforces her beliefs.

Now, none of that applies if Sally doesn't make the first gesture. I don't think anyone is beyond changing. I do think that they have to demonstrate a desire to change before that is time worth spending.