1. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: TW/MW Fighting Feats - Looking for balance input

Thank you for your input.
    Forgive me if I mess up quotes. First time trying to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    If it can't use weapons because it has paws with claws or something how does this work? Creatures don't suddenly grow hands and opposable thumbs. Also no creature would use unarmed strikes -- they have natural weapons. It would hamstring them far too much.
    As stated in the beginning. I made these feats with a thri-kreen monk concept in mind. Unarmed strikes scale with character level and become stronger than a base creatures natural attacks. Just because a creature doesn't have opposable thumbs does not mean they cannot use their limb as an unarmed strike. The feat requires three or more arms, so wings, legs, tentacles, etc. are out not counted.

Why not just add this as a Extra Attack of Opportunity? You already have Combat Reflexes so this just adds one more to each weapon. Improved Combat Reflexes rather than incorporating it with multiattack.
    The combat reflexes feat allows you to make additional attacks of opportunity per round. It still limits you to 1 attack per combatant per round. With this feat you could make an additional attack with your off-hands (1 for TW, 2+ with MW) against the same opponent per attack of opportunity.
    Improved Combat Reflexes is [Epic] and still does not allow a character to have more than 1 attack per combatant per round.

This seems to be the same as being hasted and far too expensive to waste a feat for this. Also, I've rarely seen a monster with levels in monk because natural weapons are so much better than unarmed attacks. Also monk requires creatures to be lawful. I don't see this getting much use as there are few 3+ armed races. I haven't seen a lot of Thri-kreen PCs (they are NOT usually lawful). As a novelty it would be interesting but not very useful.
    Being hasted and using a monk's flurry of blows are not the same thing. A monk makes extra attacks with penalties for being less accurate. The rules do not state that you cannot include an extra hasted attack in addition to a monk's flurry attacks. People waste a feat (weapon focus) to gain a +1 to attack, so I don't see how gaining an extra attack at your highest BAB being too expensive.

If you had a magic item that grants you a constant haste, the hasted feat becomes far greater. Even if the haste time was limited, the extra potential damage output makes that feat worth it.

I don't see why you think natural attacks are better than a monk's unarmed strike. Most CR 4 or less creatures' natural attacks are 1d6 or 1d8. A monk's unarmed damage at lv 4 is 1d8. A creature's natural attack damage does not decrease with hit die, only when changing sizes, nor does a creature gain iterative attacks with those natural weapons. A monk's unarmed damage continues to increase with level as well as increases with size, they may also be treated as natural attacks for the purpose of feats and spells, and a monk gains iterative attacks with their unarmed strikes.

Finding a niche monster takes too long and I can't think of many 3+ armed races for PCs (Thr-Kreen are usually chaotic so can't be monks and even if they could, they have LA and aren't often wanted by players as PCs). These feats are very niche.
    Remember you can make these Two-Weapon variants so the 3+ arm thing and LA may not be an issue at all. Usually chaotic does not mean you can't make a lawful thri-kreen.

Thanks again for your input.
    Last edited by Corenthius; 2019-01-26 at 08:40 PM.