I’m not saying that paladins could just use it as an easy way to not care, because it does require “true repentance” etc.

I just meant that killing civilians not protected or recognized under Azurite law/SG oaths might be considered the kind of infraction that, while still bad and requiring repentance to the gods, is up to the gods to judge and not subject to secular law/expulsion from the SG IF the gods decide that the paladin has truely repented. So it couldn’t be something that was constantly happening and being habdwaved with a spell, but it could be something that happens sporadically with different paladins and is looked at as “they went overboard/they didn’t exercise enough caution/they didn’t detect evil enough and did wrong and so they must repent and the gods will judge their worthiness” rather than “they killed the person they were sworn to obey/an Azurite citizen they were sworn to defend and they must be expelled as per SG protocol and be subject to due process under the AC courts.”

Basically it’s possible that some fall worthy actions don’t nevessarily result in permanent dismissal. That being said I’m not trying to say that a paladin atoning with the idea that they can just use the atonement spell to do it again would be considered truly atoning or actually having a LG alignment.