Let's hope there's a Girdle of (Storm) Gauntlet Strength in that secret compartment to go along with those Gauntlets of Ogre Power and that Hammer of Thunderbolts! Essentially the magic items are production model versions of Megingjörđ (Thor's "power-belt") Járngreipr (Thor's gauntlets the "Iron Grippers") and Mjolnir (Thor's Hammer "Mill Grinder", as if I needed to explain that.)

When wearing all of them together, you take all the damage bonus you get from the strength score the Gauntlets give you, add that to the bonus the Girdle (Belt in 3E) gives you, and add that to the damage of the Hammer. So, let's say Durkon has an 18 Str with the Gauntlets (+2) on for a +4 damage bonus, and say the Belt is +6 raising his Str to 24 for a +7 bonus, which added to +4 makes +11 all together. With the Hammer that will be 4D6 +16 damage with each attack. So, Durkon is going to be one hellacious combatant with his new hammer and kit.

(This particular set of magic items are the only thing in any edition of the game that act like this, but it's in homage to Thor's magical gauntlets and belt which have this same effect in the legends, both acting as multipliers to Thor's strength.)

I had an 18th level 1st Edition Ranger back in the day who managed to get his hands on a whole set like that after many years of playing (well, a Girdle of Cloud Giant Strength, but I wasn't about to be picky) and my friends still remember the terror to Evil he became after that.