Quote Originally Posted by Zilrax View Post
Yeah that would be spooky for a creature used to such things. I get the need for lack of complexity for certain. I kinda like the Taninim from in the company of dragons expanded myself most part.

But yeah those ballistas would out damage the cannon too most part amusingly until one could get a huge sized tank at level 9. Cannons also don't target touch ac. Mostly between the two far as a tank went, cannons are more expensive and reload slower but have better range and a bit more damage. Big advantage is that they count as weapons for feats and such over said trap ballistas. Vital strike. Gotta make up for only firing every other round somehow :p. At least til I can put a secondary weapon on it to use while the first is reloading.

Can only imagine a dragons reaction to a steam pumping landship driving along. Basically be Age of Wonders 3 all over again. Dreadnought vs Druid, FIGHT.

Ugh, inconsistent rules is the worst. I understand changing things because you were in error before but... Yeah. And being shot down because muh story really rubs me the wrong way most the time. I mean I can understand if everyone agreed to this sort of thing the first time but... It's rarely like that.
Well, something worth noting is I don't use Paizo's splat materials like their siege weapons and such. Really just haven't had a use for them, since I can do better (IMHO) with the core trap rules. The ballista for example were CR 3 traps one wheels. Here's a breakdown of the trap in question.

The Dragonator (CR 3, 800 XP)
Perception DC 0 (-1 CR) (It's a ballista, it's not exactly hard to spot.)
Disable DC 5 (-1 CR) (Cut a rope or jam something in it.)
Attack Bonus +20 (+2 CR) (Punches through armor and is quite fast.)
Damage 6d6+6 (avg. 27) (+3 CR, avg. damage ~30.)
Special Can be manually reset as a full-round action.

Drastically different beast than the ballistas in Paizo Siege Engines, but they're easier to balance encounters for whether they are on team goodguy or team badguy, and you can get a lot more variation in how powerful a machine is and not have to worry about the "ignores hardness" nonsense of Paizo siege weapons.