Quote Originally Posted by Benny89 View Post
I don't think you understood what I meant. I meant that in dynamic adventure day a short rest is simple not possible from role play/narrative perspective. I gave examples above.

My point was that short rest itself is many times just not suitable considering events during adventure day. Long rest is much more intuitive.

With all due respect to anyone who likes published adventures, me and my friends find them too banal and simplistic from story perspective. They feel... very artificial, if you know what I mean. They are just not for our taste, no offense.

I understand I can do many things as DM, but what I am saying is that default/RAW rules of short resting are just...well, bad in my opinion.

Of course I can houserule everything, but that is home solution, the flaw in system still stays.
Quote Originally Posted by sophontteks View Post
From a roleplay standpoint its completely unrealistic for your characters to be rolling through multiple encounters without stopping to catch their breath, stretching, conspiring their next move, bandaging their wounds, and eating some trail mix. Are you roleplaying adventurers or robots?

The only reason it seems unreasonable is because time is frozen while characters make plans, and the time lapse of rounds is unreasonably accelerated.

Combat lasts 18 seconds (3 rounds) on average. You can roll through a dungeon in 1-2 minutes going by rounds. By these standards an hour is long, and an adventuring day is an eternity.
This is very true. The vast majority of all adventuring days are not "exciting chases where every second counts". If they are, that's you causing the problem, not the system.

And consider the options.

1. No more SR, everything is LR-based (or at will). This was what 3e did. The (much worse) 5-minute working day was the result. And that's horrible for the story aspect--much worse than having an hour break here and there. This also encourages novas, which leaves out those who can't nova. Or if you do the SRx3 resource hack, you end up with warlocks being able to nova harder than anyone. No wins here.

2. Most things recharge after an encounter (ie 5-minute SR). The 4e way. If you take this too far, it stretches the imagination and makes everybody feel the same without much to differentiate the classes from a resource perspective. But there's a variant for this in the DMG--if you can't take time for a 1hr SR, use the Heroic Rest variant instead. That's what it's there for.

3. No recharging resources at all (ie everything is at-will). Yeah, that's a bit far from the core feel of D&D. D&D has always had a mix of resources styles.

4. Mana/stamina bars. I personally find these obnoxious outside a video game. If they don't regen in discrete chunks after rests, they're a pain to deal with. If they do, then see above.