Quote Originally Posted by The Jack View Post
I'm throwing out vehicles not because they're not to be used, they are used, but often they can't be.
Yes, Of course, I'm going with big guns. Months ago I was asking about them (and lasers). There are giant 20mm battle rifles, 14.5mm guns, 50 cals and all the excess I could get away with given the context of the setting.

Anyhow. I'm gathering that ceramics are likely better than thick aluminium alloys.

I'm looking at Uranium like a longing puppy looking for adoption. It's so thematically appropriate that I might just throw it in anyway (it'd be a good component for the way the setting does magic) but I work under the the principles that if it isn't magic, it's real and follows real rules. It is used sparingly in modern composite US tank Armour, But I'm having a hard time working out how hard it is and how good it'd be compared to other things (Steel, the safe bet). It's dense and ductile and that's good, but I'm not making sense of hardness scales.
Rockwell hardness scales. Most blades are in the region of 50 hardness (flexible blade) to 65 (stiff blade). Above 65 Rockwell blades start getting too brittle. Armor starts at about 100 Rockwell, modern hardened steel armor gets up to about 220 iirc.