View Single Post

Thread: Anthem - PrEAying it Doesn't Suck

1. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Anthem - PrEAying it Doesn't Suck

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I'm sorry, but it's ridiculous to point at the PS4 as the issue when literally hundreds of other games work just fine on it and it's literally only Anthem that's bricking them.
    I've had Assassin's Creed Odyssey soft lock my PS4 twice (had to turn off and turn back on again) and hard lock it twice (had to turn the power off at the socket as the power off button wasn't responding) with one of those incidents requiring a database rebuild. I've lost count of the times where it turned into a 1 fps slideshow, causing me to abort the current quest/location so I could save and restart the console.

It's not just the PS4, it's the PS4 in conjunction with an increasing number of games that are becoming more taxing on the the PS4's aging hardware. As I mentioned earlier, in my opinion Anthem is the straw that broke the camel's back.

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    I remember a Horror Story from Tech Support post that someone made where a game developer found a particular bug with a particular game where if you saved the game after doing something specific, it'd overwrite something important on the Xbox 360, effectively bricking the game. Unfortunately, fixing it required the entire game to change how it saved data, and the game was supposed to be released in like a week. Rather than fixing the game, they fired the developer. From what I understood, it wasn't a triple-A game in the first place, but he didn't give specifics to avoid any major legal issues.

My point is, sometimes developers screw up the platform, and sometimes they release them despite the issues, in the hopes they can fix them later.
    There's CCP Games infamous boot.ini patch for Eve Online which software bricked PCs (it overwrote a critical start up file), requiring a restoration of the PC with a boot disk or full re-installation of the OS in some cases.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood on the Xbox 360 had one for me, where you could access a fast travel spot back to an earlier location, only that early location was in an out-of-bounds region, which caused a desync game over. Unfortunately, the game autosaves just after fast travelling, so I was stuck in an infinite desync loop, which meant that I lost that whole game and had to restart from scratch.
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2019-03-06 at 06:08 PM.